Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Evil Within

So, I've been meaning to review this game for a while, and now I'm finally getting around to it. And I was really pumped for this game. While every one else was getting pumped for Destiny, I was sitting there getting pumped for The Evil Within. But why can't I seem to pick it up anymore? Find out why after the jump!



I was really looking forward to this game. A lot. After seeing multiple trailers for it, I was really pumped for the game. I got it launch day after seeing favorable reviews for the game, and I got a neat holographic cover for the game and everything. I got home and popped it in and started playing. Keep in mind, this is shortly after Halloween, so the spirit is still in the air. With the air getting chilly, and the leaves falling off trees, the mood was perfect, and I come into the game ready for a good scare. The game kicks off with a bang. The characters are off to a hospital where something weird has happened. They get there, and then some guy shows up and knocks the protagonist out. He wakes up in a Hoth Yeti situation where he's dangling from a chain and there's some butcher guy getting ready to kill you. You then spend the intro trying to escape by sneaking around him as he rampages trying to find you. It was exciting, and thrilling as I snuck around the hospital trying to avoid the abominations sight. I enjoyed it. At the end, there's a gory climax where you slide down a slide covered in guts and littered with saws, and you land in a pool of guts. You then wander out of the hospital, some weird Inception style landscaping takes place, and then the whole team ends up in the forest.

You then start moving around and you learn about the combat mechanics of the game, and you learn how to sneak around, how to light fires, and how to kill zombies. Then the actual game begins, and it is a lesser version of the intro. Wait, I just spent a whole intro sneaking around. Now you give me a gun and expect me to do the same thing for this part as well? I'm going to try and shoot the zombies, then. Well, no that doesn't work. The zombies take 3-4 shots to fall over, which doesn't sound like much, but you only have 8 bullets, and getting more is quite a trek. Plus apparently these basic zombies took some Krav Maga and Crossfit classes because if they find you, they'll chase you down and kick your ass. I watched as one hit (like a punch) took out half my health. Apparently my character just came from having half of his blood removed. So you have to resort to sneaking around these maps and not getting caught, or else you die in a few hits. Not to mention there's a guy later in the level, where if he catches you he shoots you point blank, and the game just makes you sit there and take it. No fighting for the gun, No trying to disarm him, just bang, you're dead. Did I mention this is a one-hit kill shot? Oh I should. The worst problem isnt really that you die, it's that you respawn so far back and it takes so long for it to load that you forgot how you died in the first place. And really that's what did me in. I don't mind a game being hard, but it shouldn't be dumb. I wish my character could actually put up a fight, or try to not die, instead of just letting the zombie take half his life.

Ultimately, I give this game a 5/10. 
Three reasons why I liked it:

  • The game has a wonderful design. The layout of the world is very nice, and creates interesting gameplay mechanics. The sneaking really does make you feel helpless.
  • The cinematic aspect is amazing. People hate on the black cinematic bars at the bottom of the screen, but I like it, as it adds to the suspense.
  • I really did enjoy the gameplay mechanic where zombies could come back if you didn't burn them. Really kept me on my toes, and lookin behind me.
Three reasons why i hated it
  • It was too hard. The game's difficulty ruined the experience that the positives laid out for me. I get challenges, but this wasn't a challenge. When you've rage quit on the second level, it doesn't spell well.
  • The gameplay itself was horrendous. I don't want to play a completely sneaky game. And the few times you do get to shoot a gun, the combat reminds me Resident Evil 4, which was a wonderful game, but that was more than five years ago. Games have evolved since then, but apparently The Evil Within hasn't. It's fine(some games do well with that), but Evil Within is not one of those games.
  • The Last of Us ruined me. This is probably the greatest reason I couldn't get behind this game. I have a lot of games on my plate now, so it's becoming increasingly unlikely that I pick this game up, and it's 99% percent likely that I pick up Last of Us before this game because of the pacing, the characters, and the gameplay, all of which are far superior to Evil Within. Evil Within has bland characters with dull and inexplicable dialogue and Dues Ex Machina has never had a more shining example than this game. 
I hat giving this game a bad review because had such hope for it, but in the end, I just left for other games disappointed that I didn't enjoy it.

Have a great Thursday,
David

No comments:

Post a Comment